Dr. Kavous Ardalan
Professor of Finance
I am a professor of finance at the School of Management, Marist College. I hold PhDs in both Economics and Finance. I have taught graduate and undergraduate courses in Finance using both the lecture method and the case method of teaching and learning. My research interests are in the theoretical, practical, educational, social, philosophical, and methodological aspects of Economics and Finance.
My work experience is very diverse. I have worked:
- In both academic and industrial institutions
- In both manufacturing and service industries
- In both private and public sectors
- In both domestic and foreign institutions
- In both developing and developed countries
- In both peaceful and revolutionary times
I have travelled to parts of the Far East, parts of the Middle East, most of Europe, and most of North America.
I am a member of a family of four (with my wife Haleh, my son Arash, and my daughter Camellia) with a long-term history located at the web site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardalan.
I owe much to my late parents, my family (Haleh, Arash, and Camellia), the Marist Community, and my teachers.
PhD, Finance, York University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
PhD, Economics, University of California, Santa Barbara, California, US
MA, Economics, University of California, Santa Barbara, California, US
BA, Economics, National University of Iran, Tehran, Iran
Research Interests / Areas of Focus
My research interests are in theoretical, practical, educational, social, philosophical, and methodological aspects of Economics and Finance.
I have written eight books and over eighty peer-reviewed journal articles.
My first book is: On the Role of Paradigms in Finance, Aldershot, Hampshire, U.K., and Burlington, Vermont, U.S.A.: Ashgate Publishing Company, 2008, ISBN 978-0-7546-4524-5.
My second book is: Understanding Globalization: A Multi-Paradigmatic Approach, London, England, U.K., and New Brunswick, New Jersey, U.S.A.: Transaction Publishers, 2014, ISBN 978-1-4128-5403-0.
My third book is: Paradigms in Political Economy, Abingdon, Oxon, U.K., and New York, New York, U.S.A., Routledge, 2016, ISBN 978-1-138-95459.
My fourth book is: Case Method and Pluralist Economics: Philosophy, Methodology, and Practice, Cham, Switzerland, and New York, New York, U.S.A., Springer International Publishing AG, 2018, ISBN 978-3-319-72070-8.
My fifth book is: Global Political Economy: A Multi-Paradigmatic Approach, Cham, Switzerland, and New York, New York, U.S.A., Springer International Publishing AG, 2019, ISBN: 978-3-030-10376-7.
My sixth book is: Equity Home Bias in International Finance: A Place-Attachment Perspective, Abingdon, Oxon, U.K., and New York, New York, U.S.A., Routledge, 2019, ISBN 978-0-367-23067-8.
My seventh book is: Understanding Revolution: A Multi-Paradigmatic Approach, New York, New York, U.S.A.; and Cham, Switzerland: Springer International Publishing AG, 2020, ISBN: 978-3-030-47590-1.
My eighth book is: Feminist Theories and Feminist Economics: A Multi-Paradigmatic Approach, Lanham, Maryland, U.S.A.: Lexington Books (Rowman and Littlefield Publishing Group, Inc.), 2021, ISBN: 978-1-7936-4885-3.
I have published in various academic journals, including:
- Academy of Accounting and Financial Studies Journal
- Academy of Educational Leadership Journal
- American Review of Political Economy
- Applied Economics Letters
- Business Economics
- Contemporary Issues in Education Research
- Empirical Economics Letters
- Empirical Economics Review
- Finance India
- Financial Practice and Education
- Forum for Social Economics
- Global Business and Economics Anthology
- Global Finance Journal
- International Journal of Business Disciplines
- International Journal of Finance
- International Journal of Knowledge, Culture, and Change Management
- International Journal of Social Economics
- International Review of Business Research Papers
- International Review of Economics and Finance
- IUP Journal of Applied Economics
- Journal of Alternative Perspectives in the Social Sciences
- Journal of Applied Business and Economics
- Journal of Commercial Banking and Finance
- Journal of Economic Surveys
- Journal of Economics and Economic Education Research
- Journal of Economics and Finance
- Journal of Economics and Finance Education
- Journal of Economics Educators
- Journal of Global Business
- Journal of Global Business Development
- Journal of Globalization Studies
- Journal of Interdisciplinary Economics
- Journal of International Business
- Journal of International Business Education
- Journal of International Business Research
- Journal of Modern Accounting and Auditing
- Journal of Organizational Behavior Education
- Journal of the Tennessee Economics Association
- National Accounting Journal
- Pennsylvania Journal of Business and Economics
- Research and Practice in Social Sciences
- Research in International Business and Finance
- Southern Business Review
- Southwestern Economic Review
- Technology in Society: An International Journal
- Transcience: A Journal of Global Studies
- World Review of Business Research
- World Review of Political Economy
I have made numerous presentations at regional, national, and international academic conferences.
Awards and Honors
As one of the nation's most respected teachers, my name appeared in the 2003-2004 and 2005-2006 editions of Who's Who Among America's Teachers.
My first book has received the following comment: "On the Role of Paradigms in Finance advances a new and comprehensive view of the research process in finance. This effort is essential reading for all students of financial economics."
My first book has also received the following comment: "In general, I believe that this is a useful book for graduate students in finance and in economics. I also think that this is particularly useful for those finance specialists who are convinced that philosophy of science and methodology have nothing to do with their subject."
My first book has also received the following comment: "This book provides food for thought. It provides abundant diverse sources upon which it draws. We must admire the variety of authors this book brings to bear on the discipline of Finance. While the book emphasizes the narrowness with which mainstream Finance approaches its object, it provides us with systematic alternatives."
My first book has also received the following comment: "On the Role of Paradigms in Finance is an eye-opener! It is the first scholarly work that has applied critical management thinking to the field of finance."
My first book has received the following comment from its publisher: "This book sold well."
My third book has received the following comment: "This book's approach extends notable epistemic judgments for the philosophy of social science."
My peer-reviewed articles, which are almost exclusively singularly authored, have appeared in various academic journals.
Since I joined Marist College in 1998, I have published about 4 peer-reviewed journal articles per year, for which I have been recognized annually as one of the most prolific scholars at the School of Management and Marist College.
Marist College granted me the Special Recognition Award for Teaching and Research in the 2002-2003 academic year.
Marist College granted me the Marist Faculty Recognition Award, which is awarded to faculty members whose scholarly works epitomize the professional life.
Marist College granted me the Special Recognition Award for Extraordinary Achievements in Scholarship in the 2005-2006 academic year.
Marist College President acknowledged the role that my publications played in obtaining the School of Management AACSB accreditation.
Emerald Group Publishing Limited:
- Recognized one of my papers as one of their "Best Papers," and published a popularized version of it in one of their practically-oriented journals.
- Granted another paper the "Highly Commended Award of Excellence for Research".
- Chose still another paper for Emerald Reading ListAssist, which is their unique peer-reviewed reading-list service.
Four of my papers have received "Distinguished Research Awards" at international conferences.
Two of my papers have been declared as the "Most Downloaded Articles" by their respective journals.
Some of my papers have been cited in others' papers.
Three of my papers have been used as references in the Handbook of Finance, each chapter of which presents a review of the literature on a major Finance topic.
Four of my papers have been published in journals which have been sponsored by universities that stand among top-ranked world-class universities.
Twelve of my papers have been published in a journal which is ranked seventh in its category.
Twenty-three of my papers have been written based on my own teaching method, lecture notes, and homework assignments.
One of my papers has been assigned as an "Essential Reading" in a Senior Honors Course at the University of Edinburgh, Scotland, U.K., which is ranked 6th in Europe, and ranked 20th in the world.
One of my papers has been assigned in an MBA course at HEC, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, which is ranked 10th in Business Week's International Ranking.
One of my papers has been assigned in a Master's course at Complutense University of Madird, Spain, which is one of the world's oldest universities and is consistently ranked as the top university in Spain.
One of my papers has been assigned in a Ph.D. course at Jawaharlal Nehru Univeristy, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India, which is ranked 2nd in India.
One of my papers has been assigned in a Ph.D. course at the University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran, which is the oldest and most prestigious university in Iran.
Two of my papers have appeared in the top financial education journal (called Financial Practice and Education, which is published by the largest association in the field of finance called Financial Management Association International) and are frequently cited in financial education literature for the innovation in teaching method.
Internationally, I have been consistently ranked by published scholarly research as one of the top authors in both financial education and economic education:
- In 2000, I was ranked 9th
- In 2004, I was ranked 15th
- In 2008, I was ranked 23th
Marist College Media Center recognized me as one of the forerunners of the users of technology in the classroom.
A journal, which is ranked seventh in its category, invited me to write a paper on the occasion of its thirtieth anniversary and accordingly published my paper.
Ashgate Publishing Limited, based on my published papers in the area of the paradigmatic analysis of the field of Finance, made me an unsolicited offer to publish a book in that area and in 2008 published my book which is entitled: "On the Role of Paradigms in Finance."
The editors of two books invited me to write one chapter for each of their books, and published my chapters in their books, which were published by Emerald and Springer.
I was the sole editor of one academic journal for two years. I was invited to this editorship.
I acted as a member of the editorial board of three academic journals.
As a highly-cited author, I was invited by Emerald Group Publishing to join the Peerwith, which matches subject specialists with academics seeking support for their work.