Safety and Security
What is MaristAlerts?
MaristAlerts is the mass communications system utilized by the College. It allows the College to communicate with you in an emergency by a number of different means. You are strongly encouraged to register for MaristAlerts when you receive the invitation. Providing your cell/SMS will allow the college to communicate via text message.
MaristAlerts will be used as the primary notification system at Marist College for situations when an urgent or emergency message must be issued to a large segment of our community. Examples of such potential notifications include:
- Criminal Activity - Immediate danger to the community (active shooter or armed intruder)
- Weather Conditions - Institutional closures and delays.
- Life Safety Conditions - chemical hazard, explosion, significant fire
- Maintenance - widespread electrical outage, mechanical malfunction
- Campus updates of importance to the community
- System Testing - monthly tests are sent at noon on the second Saturday of every month
At Marist, the safety and well-being of our students, faculty, staff and visitors are always our number one priority. Marist Security attempts to integrate itself into the overall educational mission of the College by fostering a sense of cooperation, respect, and teamwork among the campus community.
Marist urges all faculty, staff, and students to report all emergencies. The college partners with a variety of public and private agencies to supplement our emergency response needs. When crimes, dangerous situations, or other unusual events occur, the College is committed to disseminating timely and accurate information to the community.
The campus security staff is trained to respond appropriately to all calls for assistance. Campus safety is a collaborative effort at Marist, and the entire campus community is involved in making the College safe and secure for everyone. To help prevent any major crimes from occurring, we encourage all students, faculty, and staff to “think safety.”